April 1, 2023 | 3:21 a.m.
A Louisiana woman is suing Wendy’s after she was hospitalized after eating a hamburger from the fast food restaurant.
A Wendy’s customer is suing the fast food chain after she was hospitalized after eating a contaminated hamburger.
Court documents obtained by McClatchy News allege that client Jena Vogt has been plagued with long-term health problems and staggering medical bills as a result of her food, which contained a preformed toxin.
Jena Vogt ordered a medium double cheeseburger combo at a Wendy’s restaurant in St. Rose, Louisiana, on July 27.
The plaintiff says the burger became contaminated due to “poor handwashing procedures” and the food was not properly washed, inspected or secured.
“Within (24) hours of consuming the Wendy’s Double Cheeseburger, Ms. Vogt became nauseated and began having gastrointestinal abnormalities,” the lawsuit states.
Vogt was then diagnosed with a series of medical problems, including severe sepsis, E.coli, septic shock, brain hemorrhage, and acute gastrointestinal bleeding.
Client spent approximately two months in hospital care and was transferred to a second hospital on August 28.
She was released for home care on September 28.
The complaint alleges that Vogt not only suffered physical disability and mental anguish, but also her husband Michael.
“(He) endured changes to his marital relationship, including a loss of consortium,” the complaint alleges.
The lawsuit also refers to medical expenses and “past and future lost opportunity for income and loss of enjoyment of life” as damages.
The couple is seeking more than $75,000 in damages.
FOX Business has reached out to Wendy’s for a statement but has not heard back.