Growing up on a farm meant my list of chores included helping pick blackberries. These juicy morsels of sour deliciousness meant we were going to be enjoying homemade fresh blackberrypie, cobbler and jam. I could try to describe just how amazing these desserts and jam were, but there really are no words. You’ll just have to trust me… they were heavenly!
Last night I asked my mother what variety of blackberries she planted on the farm. She said that she didn’t remember the name however the plants she planted were a thornless variety. That makes sense because I don’t remember ever getting stuck by thorns when picking blackberries.
- 5 - 6 fresh blackberries
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 ounces simple syrup or blackberry syrup (GF Option: purchase gluten free syrup or make your own)
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup club soda, chilled (GF Option: use gluten free club soda)
- 1 to 1 1/2 ounces white rum (GF Option: use gluten free brand of rum or use a gluten-free rum substitute)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Garnish with fresh sprigs of mint and fresh whole blackberries
- Rinse blackberries and mint leaves under cool tap water. Gently pat dry with paper towels.
- Place blackberries, mint leaves, simple or blackberry syrup and lime juice into a small bowl.
- Gently mash the mixture with a muddler. Do not shred the mint leaves, rather simply bruise them to release the essential oils.
- Stir in club soda and rum.
- Strain to remove the blackberry seeds and remnants of the mint leaves.
- Pour into chilled stemware.
- Add ice and garnish with fresh sprigs of mint and several fresh whole blackberries.
- Adjust amounts of ingredients to suit your individual taste. Double the recipe to make 2 mojitos.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.